RE: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

At 09:36 AM 9/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
>> >Resources are first class objects - you identify them using
>> URIs. When
>> >describing or talking about a resource, you use the URI to
>> refer to that
>> >resource.
>>
>> Do you really?  What resource exactly does the URI
>> http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml identify?
>
>The resource identified by the URI "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml".

That's not an answer, just an astoundingly weak debating point.  Sorry!

Something more concrete would be appreciated, as it's pretty obvious that
there are multiple conflicting interpretations.

>Just as well as "New York" identifies the city identified by the name "New
>York"

Yes, and New York is an incorporated body - several, actually, with fixed
geographic and political boundaries.  There's a there there, whatever the
context may be.  There's no there there for http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml,
which is pretty poor practice for a tool we expect people to use day in and
day out.

>For "elements of the common syntax", the equality operation is defined by
>RFC 2396. For everything else, you use case-sensitive matching.

That's not specified anywhere I've seen, except in the Namespaces in XML
Rec that got us into these problems in the first place.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML