Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

Dan Connolly wrote:

> Not so: every URL is a URI[1]; every URI identifies exactly
> one resource[2]; hence every URL identifies exactly one resource.

[snip]

> [2] "An identifier is an object that can act as a reference to
>          something that has identity."
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

I have no problem with this.  However, it is not clear to me
why distinct URLs must refer to distinct resources.  My contention
is that

	ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO/8859-1.TXT

and

	http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO/8859-1.TXT

represent the same *resource*, not merely the same entity body.
Both URIs refer to the mapping between the Unicode and ISO 8859-1
character sets.

Or at least that this could be so, if the Unicode Consortium said
it was so.

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com