Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

At 06:48 PM 9/5/00 +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:
>At 12:21 PM 9/5/00 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>>This appears to be just an overview of the various URI RFC documents, but
>>is there an IETF activity working on updating RFC 2396?
>
>Not that I know of.

I'd suggest that a clarification/revision of RFC2396 would be a good idea
_prior to_ the W3C taking up any general consideration of how XML and URIs
fit together.

I'd like to think that a few of the past 1700 messages could have been
avoided if RFC2396 was a tighter and more comprehensive document.

>For many IETFers, I think an overview like this is quite appropriate and
>helpful.

Agreed, but I don't think it helps substantially with the kinds of issues
that have been repeatedly raised on this list.

Comparison of URIs is only the beginning, and I note that this draft
doesn't refer to either Henrik Frystyk Nielsen's favorite RFC (2616) or
Larry Masinter's favorite (2557).

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML