Re: a few open questions

From: Paul W. Abrahams <abrahams@valinet.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:49:29 -0400
To: Julian Reschke <reschke@medicaldataservice.de>
CC: xml-uri@w3.org
Julian Reschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a few questions where I feel that some clarifications could
> contribute to the discussion.

I'll venture answers to (2):

> 2) xmlns vs. xsi:schemaLocations vs. other mechanisms
>
> It seems that a TBL & followers would like to use (re-use, abuse, overload
> whatever...) the namespace name to actually point to a resource which would
> contain additional information about the namespace (be it a human readable
> document, a schema, RDF...). a) Why would the specifics of this be relevant
> to a namespace aware XML processor?

They aren't relevant for the uniqueness check.  But if the resource contains
validation information of some kind (schema, DTD), the XML processor might use
it for a validity check with respect to that information.

> b) It has been suggested several times
> to use an additional attribute to create this linkage to the intended
> semantical information. What's wrong with this approach?

Since I'm advocating it, my first answer would be ``nothing''.  But there's
still design work to be done, and until it's done one can't be absolutely sure
that there isn't a gotcha lurking somewhere.

Paul Abrahams