Re: Injective Quality (Was: Re: URIs quack like a duck)

Two dumb questions, if I may...

At 09:50 AM 5/30/00 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> >  "If the name X and the name Y are different,
> >   then we know the resource identified by X is
> >   different from the resource identified by Y"
>

>I disagree. In fact, I would say that you can't make a system
>which scales globally in a decentralized way with that
>tautology.
>
>[[Two problems with vocabulary, by the way:
>(1) My definition of a resource is that exactly identified by a URI and so
>URIs and resources are in 1:1 mapping.

These two statements seem to be in contradiction:  if X and Y are different
names (URIs) that identify the same resource, then URIs and resources are
not in 1:1 mapping.  What am I missing?

> >  "If the name X and the name Y are the same,
> >   then we know the resource identified by X and
> >   the resource identified by Y are the same."
>

>This we do have.

I have seen this asserted a few times, but keep on asking myself:  what
about the 'file:' URI scheme?  (I hear word of other schemes that may
similarly depend on local context for their interpretation.)

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)