Re: URIs quack like a duck

> From: Paul W. Abrahams (abrahams@valinet.com)

> The problem is that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's hard to
> prevent people from imposing duckish expectations on it.  URIs create those
> expectations.

Has anyone else been reminded through all this of Swift's School of
Languages?

The philosophers of this School declared that every word could be made
into a noun, and that every noun had a physical object that could
represent it, and therefore that one could get a universal language by
using the objects directly.  If you had enough objects with you, you
could disuss any subject: instead of needing the word "cat" you could
grab a cat out of your bag!

I am not sure whether Tim Bray's option #2 (retrieve the resource) is
not an idea from that School. Instead of needing a very big bag, we have
http :-)

Rick Jelliffe