Re: Namespace names: a modification of a semi-serious proposal

From: Clark C. Evans <cce@clarkevans.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 20:59:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
cc: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>, david@dcarlisle.demon.co.uk, xml-uri@w3.org
On Sat, 27 May 100, John Cowan wrote:
> Better yet, just agree that the namespace name *always*
> implies a data URI encapsulating it.

I like your "data:" proposal.  However, it does not really
help us with the "absolutizing" debate, does it?

> If accessing two URIs retrieves the same entity body, it proves nothing
> [about the two URIs identifying the same resource]: they may have the
> same content by coincidence.
>
> If accessing two URIs retrieves a different entity body, it still proves
> nothing: they may identify a single time-varying resource.

This is a great argument why a URL makes for a bad URN.

However, is this practical in our context?  I mean, is
there any other serious reason for retrival other than
for getting a schema or human description or catalog of
resources for the namespace?  In each of these examples
none of the theoritical problems occur...

Best,

Clark