Re: Namespaces and namespace names: a new synthesis?

From: Paul W. Abrahams <abrahams@valinet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 12:00:19 -0400
To: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>, xml-uri@w3.org
John Cowan wrote:

> Nothing in the Namespace Rec rules out treating the namespace name
> as a mere property of the namespace, and assigning a completely different
> URI to identify the namespace.  In principle, some namespace could
> have a name of "foo/bar" and a URI of "gopher://edu.com/76trombones".

I'm trying, so far unsuccessfully, to reconcile that statement with what the
namespace spec says (of the xmlns attribute):  ``The attribute's value, a URI
reference, is the namespace name identifying the namespace.''  Are we, like Bill
Clinton, contemplating what the meaning of ``is'' is?   To me, the statement
from the spec is saying ``namespace name = URI reference''.   You're suggesting
they're different, and you're a smart guy who understands this stuff as well as
anyone.  What am I missing?

Paul Abrahams