Re: Namespaces and namespace names: a new synthesis?

From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
Date: Sat, 27 May 100 03:54:57 -0400 (EDT)
To: liam@holoweb.net (Liam Quin)
Cc: xml-uri@w3.org
Liam Quin scripsit:

> Finally, it would make sense to abandon the idea of having a URI in there
> at all, and use a formally defined name, preferably one that does not
> start with "http:" in any examples :-)

Then you lose the advantage of leveraging the existing infrastructure
to help you assign a unique name.  Leaving off the scheme doesn't
do it: one person may be permitted to assign "http://example.com"
URIs, and another person be permitted to asign "ftp://example.com" URIs
within the example.com organization.  With no scheme names, they will
step on one another, or need yet another local convention.

	Yes, I know the message date is bogus.  I can't help it.
		--me, on far too many occasions