Re: Namespace names: a semi-serious proposal

From: David Carlisle <david@dcarlisle.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 22:50:02 +0100 (BST)
To: abrahams@acm.org
CC: xml-uri@w3.org

> And what do you think of the idea that led to this query: using UUID's as the only
> non-deprecated form of namespace name?

Compare

<stylesheet xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"/>

<stylesheet xmlns="uuid:ae36ff938865"/>

I think the first one (even with the unfortunate four digits) is
rather more useful informing a human reader which vocabulary this
element is from, and also has rather better chance of being correctly
hand authored.

Namespace names are not just some internal unique identifier that
can be machine generated and machine recognised (well some may be,
and for that uuid is fine, but you can't deprecate all readable
uri schemes, and I'm not sure that you can deprecate the namespace
names of existing recommendations unless you want to wind the entire
XML clock back to 1997 and start over.

David