Re: A simple (hopfully not stupid) question

Robert Hanson wrote:

> I can't say that I have the level of competence in XML as the other posters on
> this list, so please excuse me if my question is naieve...
>
> As far as I understand it, the string "foo:bar" is a valid URI as well as
> being a valid URI Reference.

It satisfies the generic URI syntax in RFC 2396.  It is not a
valid URI, because there is no "foo:" scheme.

=> So if the parser (or whatever) was to absolutize the URI, what would it do to
> this URI?

Nothing.

> Would it think it is a reference?

No.  Anything beginning "xxx:" (for reasonable values of xxx) is absolute,
per RFC 2396.  If you want to make a relative URI reference to a resource
with "foo:bar" in its name, you say "./foo:bar" instead, which is a relative
URI reference and means what you want.

>  Would it realize that it is a complete URI?

Yes.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>