Re: Irony heaped on irony

From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:48:09 +0100
To: "John Aldridge" <john.aldridge@informatix.co.uk>, <xml-dev@xml.org>, <xml-uri@w3.org>
The "XML Namespaces" specification is quite clear that the
purpose of a namespace "Universal Resource IDENTIFIER" is
identification, not location.

Were the purpose of those namespace URIs to be location
(as in:  dereference to get a schema) then the spec would
have used a "Universal Resource LOCATOR".

URIs are very fit for the purpose of identification.  And
that's the task/purpose identified in the namespace spec.

There's a clear line between identifying something ("my auto,
which has been stolen" -- it's got a Vehicle IDENTIFICATION
number [VIN] too!) and locating it.

- Dave