oral tradition

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:40:30 -0400
To: xml-uri@w3.org
At 12:25 PM 5/25/00 -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
>But that consensus isn't clearly and unambiguously recorded
>in 2396, which is obviously the place it belongs.   I don't
>think anyone here would maintain that standards can be based
>on oral tradition.

In large part, I think it's oral traditions that brought us here:
1) the oral traditions in the URI community surrounding RFC 2396
2) the oral traditions in the XML community surrounding 'Namespaces in XML'

At least the oral traditions of the XML community tend to be archived (see:
http://www.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/2000/05/0516.html) - I suspect the URI
community has similar archives.

Whether oral tradition is a good thing or not is another debate...

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com