Re: URI versus URI Reference

"Paul W. Abrahams" wrote:

> I believe that the repair to RFC2396 would be simple, however: drop the term ``URI
> reference'' and replace it by ``URI'' in all its occurrences within the document.  It's
> an odd term in any case, since it seems to mean ``Universal Resource Identifier
> identifier'' (no one seems to be arguing that a URI reference points to a URI rather
> than to a resource).

Actually, that doesn't deal with the problem of fragments, I now realize.  But one could
write in Sec 4:

   URI-reference = [URI] [ "#" fragment-identifier]
   URI = absoluteURI | relativeURI

That pins down what a URI is and also what the difference between a URI and a URI reference
is.  It does explicitly accept relative URIs as a kind of URI and also as a kind of URI
reference.

Paul Abrahams