RE: XML semantics was: Web Architecture, 'XML Autonomy'

From: Bill dehOra <WdehOra@interxtechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:54:05 +0100
To: xml-uri@w3.org

:You have to be able to write languages which qualify somethig quoted.
:and send it to you without you holding me to
:"<b>the sky is green</b>"

Are you talking about being able to mention a thing as well as use it? so we
can avoid mistakes like:

1: W3C is a consortium
2: W3C is three letters in length

where the second statement is a nonsense one. In your example I (or more
likely my processor) might *have* to hold you to <b>the sky is green</b> as
being used rather than mentioned, because it isn't  quoted (at least in
markup). If <not><"><b>The sky is green</b></"></not> was sent, I, or my
processor could then infer that <b>The sky is green</b> is being mentioned
not used and the sender is off the hook.

-Bill