Re: Dictionares in the library

From: Dave Hollander <dmh@info2000.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:23:18 -0600
To: xml-uri@w3.org
This is all so metaphorical as to be &*&()#?

No one has ever written in an W3C XML recommendation
that namespaces are dictionaries. If you must carry the metaphore,
then the best to be said is that a spec has created the concept of
as dictionary, but we still have no formal specification of what they
look like, what the contain, how they are created or maintained.

I would love to build those specs...well, at least I would love to
have them created. They have not been.  In fact, I doubt there is
sufficient practice to establish consensus on how they should be
defined.  Do you gloss the corpus to create the dictionary or
create the dictionary to drive the development of the corpus?
No, that is not what we need to debate now, but we will if we
attempt to turn namespaces from an abstraction to a real specified
object.

Regards,
Dave