Re: The "data:" URI scheme considered helpful

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 09:33:49 -0400
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: <jcowan@reutershealth.com>, <xml-uri@w3.org>

>I suppose you could use the data: URI scheme similarly...
>mid: explioits the email infrastructure for (pretty much)
>guaranteeing you wont' collide with somebody else.
>And data: doesn't feel right for some reason that I
>can't put my finger on just now...

The data: URI identifies a resource whose definitive *representation* is its
content.
I suppose
data:the-namespace-for-calendars-tbl@w3.org-played-with-on-1999-10-12-at-11:
02:34.09AM-GMT-use-me-at-your-peril
(where s/-/%20/g) would both have a useful global uniqueness and also is
descriptive.

To use data:boo  is equivalent to using http://example.com/boopdeboop and
serving (text/plain, "boopdeboop") at that address.
I would not class this as *very* useful. :-)