Re: Toward the self-describing web [was: Irony heaped on irony]

From: sam th <sam@bur-jud-118-039.rh.uchicago.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:16:37 -0400 (EDT)
To: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
cc: Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>, "xml-uri@w3.org" <xml-uri@w3.org>
On Fri, 19 May 2000, John Cowan wrote:

> Matt Sergeant wrote:
>
> > No. Namespaces are names. Unique identifiers. Nothing more, nothing
> > less. They don't need to be resolved in any way shape or form. How are you
> > going to resolve this valid namespace uri:
> >
> >         xmlns:ms="mailto:matt@sergeant.org?subject=XPathScript"
>
> Red herring.  No one is calling for any change to this URI, since it is
> already absolute.  Indeed, no "mailto:" URI can ever be anything but
> absolute.

Sadly, this is not true.  As a test, I just got mail to be delivered to an
address of the form "name".  It was automatically interpreted as meaning
"name@localhost.localdomain".  While this is unlikely to be useful
(esp in the current context) it does work.

<relurk/>

			     	sam th
			     	sam@uchicago.edu
				http://sam.rh.uchicago.edu