RE: looking for packaging, not a schema (-NOT, counterproposal)

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 18:58:16 -0500
To: "Larry Masinter" <masinter@attlabs.att.com>, <xml-uri@w3.org>
At 02:54 PM 2000-05-19 -0700, Larry Masinter wrote:
>RFC 2387, multipart/related, provides for packaging, including
>URL-originated
>material, without requiring that you use relative URLs to keep the package
>together.
>
>That is, there is no need to use relative URLs for packaging, and this
>reduces the justification for retaining relative URLs as namespace
>identifiers, if motivated by packaging needs.

Agreed, not a necessity.

[aside: packaging, not namespacing...]

Does MIME allows multiparts to be passed which refer among the several
parts by relative URLs?  I left this discussion before it was all done.
Does such use of relative URLs among the related parts serve at times as a
convenience in porting multiparts?

Al