When are 2 URI's the same?

From: Anthony B. Coates, ESL +61 2 9373 7972 Sydney <tony.coates@reuters.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:00:04 +0000 (GMT)
To: xml-uri@w3.org
When are two URI's the same?  When do two relative URI's refer to the
same thing?  I'm a bit confused by the idea that namespace identifiers
are (allegedly) URI's, yet that can be compared like strings, which I
would not have thought to be the case for URI's.

If namespace identifiers are URI's, surely they should be compared as
URI's.  If they are compared as strings, surely the spec should say
that namespace identifiers are strings, and are not URI's, even if
they often look like URI's.

Is there something I am missing about comparing URI's?  I fully
understand the problems for people who already use straight textual
comparison of namespace identifiers, but I wonder if the current spec
isn't guilty of standing with one leg on either side of a barbed wire
fence.

	Cheers,
			Tony.

the views of Reuters Ltd.