RE: Are *relative* URIs as namespace nemes considered harmful?

From: Pawson, David <DPawson@rnib.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:21:57 +0100
To: xml-uri@w3.org
>Note that I'm not arguing for any solution at this point, just
>trying to
>clear away the underbrush.  This for two reasons: a) almost
>everybody has
>an entrenched position here, and b) I'm the point man for the problem,
>qua editor of the Infoset, which is the primary place where
>the eventual
>decision will get expressed.

Borrowing from Norm Walsh, the debate seems to centre on
names and addresses, [1]. If names are intended, then the string
value of an absolute uri is sufficient (ignoring the uniqueness debate).
If addresses are required, then a local resolution via a catalog would
suffice to convert the name into an address. A global solution
would then be available via the web without the catalog usage.

Regards, DaveP

[1]
http://www.arbortext.com/Think_Tank/Norm_s_Column/issue_three/issue_three.ht
ml