Re: Are *relative* URIs as namespace nemes considered harmful

From: Jonathan Robie <Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:16:32 -0500
To: xml-uri@w3.org
Yes. Well, mostly.

To me, relative URIs really are broken. On the other hand, when I'm
developing a new application, I may not have a unique URI that I will ever
want to expose outside my company. There are URIs on my laptop that are
none of your business, since they are used for experimental purposes and
will never be exposed to the world.

Personally, I use strings like "c:/spot/run", "c:/dick/run", etc., which I
know are not unique, but work fine for disambiguation as long as I'm just
playing on my laptop, and don't require me to think seriously about what
URIs can be guaranteed to be unique.

So I'd like relative URIs to give me a dire warning at least. I suppose if
we all agreed to ban them altogether, I could simply change the strings I
use for playing, e.g. "http://www.softwareag.com/c/spot/run" or whatever.

Jonathan