Re: vocabularies was: Re: Can everyone be happy?

At 02:15 PM 6/22/00 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>John Cowan wrote:
>
>>... The trouble is that a single namespace may have
>> many associated schemas: in the terminology I introduced yesterday, a
>> namespace is a vocabulary rather than a language.  TimBL prefers to say
>> that it is a super-language, but a language without a syntax seems to be
>> a self-contradictory notion.
>>

>Vocabulary is a terrific way to describe namespaces, and missed it yesterday

For all my opposition to the use of the word 'language' in this forum, I
have no such complaints about 'vocabulary'.  A set of words is fine with
me, and doesn't preclude mixing and matching or create odd complications
with multiple or non-existent schemas.

It's a much less loaded word, one I'm much happier to work with.

Simon St.Laurent