Re: Language = Namespace. was: How namespace names might be used

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> Sorry!   A namespace *is* a language.

I think it would be less confusing if you adopted the statement "A namespace
is a vocabulary", since saying it is a language connotes that it has a single
syntax, and namespaces (vocabularies) may have more than one syntax. For
example, there are three well-known syntaxes for the XHTML 1.0 vocabulary.

> Nor do I, because  you don't *FIND* a resource by dereferencing a URI.
> A resource is abstract and what you get back is a bag of bits -

... plus a media type.

> not the resource but some (possible poor) representation of it.

[snip]

> A namesapce name is a URI. A great big solid URI.
> No more. Just a URI.  Once you have made a URI
> you can't stop it from being used to hang things on.

And here we have the original debate reappearing: is a namespace name a URI, or a
string with the syntax of a URI reference?  The Namespace Rec says the
latter, the Director says the former.  Who's gonna win?

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>