Infererence by scheme (Re: namespace usage as assertions)

At 12:08 PM 6/21/00 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>In particular, if the user chose a namespace name beginning
>with http:, you can infer that a description of/representation of
>the resource identified by that URI is generally available on demand.

Could you explain exactly where such an inference comes from?

It's not in the XML in Namespaces specification.

It's not (so far as I can tell) in RFC 2616.

I can't see anything resembling such a claim in RFC 2396.

This 'inference' is certainly not suggested by the many examples of
'namespaces best practices' from the XML-dev list and other community
resources I pointed out earlier in this discussion.

I see no cause for making such inferences, and would suggest that they be
withdrawn until such time as they are specified formally.

Simon St.Laurent