RE: A proposed solution

At 09:26 AM 6/15/00 -0700, Larry Masinter wrote:
>I think the group should reconsider compatibility with RFC 2557's algorithm
>for comparison.

I think that if we're going to be referencing RFC 2557, it may be time to
give up on the 'URIs are a clean modular solution' claim for now and move
on, keeping URI syntax only for backward (and possibly forward) compatibility.

It seems clear at this point that RFC 2396 by itself doesn't provide a
clean solution to the fairly basic needs of namespaces.  The lack of a
Uniform Comparison Algorithm is deeply unfortunate.

Tracking multiple RFCs to describe how supposedly simple and (hopefully)
frequent comparisons should be made sounds like towing a semi-trailer with
a Saturn, once again.  (Through quicksand, lately.)

Simon St.Laurent