Re: A proposed solution

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> > That turns out not to be the case, as I said before.  Single documents
> > can and do contain more than one external entity with more than one
> > base URI.
>
> If retrieving an external entity, the context may change when resolving
> relative references depending on the URI of the external entity. [1]
> seems in fact to indicate this for the system identifier itself which
> presumeably can be nested?
>
> In this case relative URIs have to be compared with the two (or more)
> contexts in mind.

In the case of external entities, the only thing that an XML processor
needs to do with the system identifier is to fetch the resource it
identifies.  It doesn't have to compare it for equality with other
system identifiers.  In the case of namespace names, the namespace
processor doesn't have to fetch the resource it identifies, but it has
to compare it with other namespace names with possible different
contexts, in order to determine whether attributes are unique (in
accordance with section 5.3 of the namespaces Rec).

James