Re: A proposed solution

At 07:22 PM 6/9/00 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
>> 1) What's the base URI of a defaulted attribute?
>
>Defaulted or specified, the base URI is that of the element, i.e.
>derived from the external general entity in which the element
>appears.

Hmmm... I won't battle this too hard, but it seems more logical from the
point of view of a DTD designer for the base URI of a defaulted attribute
to be the base URI of the file containing the DTD:

<!ATTLIST myML
	xmlns	#IMPLIED "relative/to/dtd/uri/">

I can see where that adds additional complexity to processing, of course,
but if the base URI is that of the document, not the DTD, I'd suggest that
deserves explicit mention to keep people from having unexpected results
from the kind of defaulting shown above.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com