Re: XML Base and XPath absolutizing of URIs

John Boyer wrote:
> ... Since XPath is in violation of the
> namespaces spec anyway for trying to absolutize URIs, the feature should
be
> removed by an erratum.  Alternately, XPath could be modified by an erratum
> to indicate either that the base URL is provided by XBase or as an
> additional component of the evaluation context.
>
> One way or the other, something about XPath needs to be changed.

It this because the XPath function namespace-uri() is defined to return the
"expanded name" which is the absolutized URI?

Why is this a violation of the XML Namespace REC? All it means is that the
literal string namespace name is not always what the namespace-uri()
function returns.

Under the current situation, as I see it, the infoset (and ought DOM2, no?)
'contains' both the baseURI and namespace name, from which an implementation
of the namespace-uri() function could construct an absolutized URI. (Perhaps
under the DOM2 definition the base URI is retrievable via the "xml:base"
attribute).

The fact that XPath specifies URI absolutization may indeed affect XPath
processing, yet this does not invalidate the processing, indeed this is the
expected behavior.

Jonathan Borden