RE: rel:foo for those who can't do without 'relative' URIs

keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> >with this in place, is there *any* reason (besides the 3 legacy documents
> >:-) not to ban relative URI references as namespace names?
>
> I think that's always been the only serious objection to banning them.
>
> If the folks who felt they couldn't live without relative syntax (for fear
> of breaking legacy documents) are willing to take this solution,
> GO FOR IT.
> I've lost track of whether that's still a concern or not.

Assuming that we accept the replacement of "foo" with "rel:foo", would it be
acceptable to define a 'migration' path for XML namespace in the deprecation
of relative URI references to define the behavior of a parser when a
relative URI reference is encountered to prepend "rel:" and proceed?

Thus a legacy XML document would be automatically transformed into a 'well
structured'/namespace conforming XML document.

Jonathan Borden