Re: The 'resource' identified by a namespace name URI should be the namespace

At 01:42 PM 6/1/00 -0700, Larry Masinter wrote:
>Since we currently have no technical means to define a namespace other
>than to identify it, there is no expectation that a namespace name
>be a URI that is dereferencable.

I think for current practice that's correct, though I worry about what it
suggests for the future use of namespace URIs.

We'll see.

I'm not content at all with the various definitions of the nature of a
namespace, and would strongly suggest that the 'namespaces are resources'
discussion be held until Namespaces 2.0.

(If we all survive that long, of course.)

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com