Re: URIs quack like a duck

"Paul W. Abrahams" wrote:

> For the sake of argument only, let's combine that with the proposal that all forms
> of URIs other than data: should be deprecated.  We're then in almost exactly the
> same place we'd be in if we just say that URIs in xmlns attributes are uninterpreted
> and just taken literally.  In other words, taking namespace names literally and
> moving the burden of interpretation onto another attribute (or several) achieves
> what I think folks are trying to achieve with "data:,".

For comparison, yes.  But using "data:" preserves the resource-nature
(as in Buddha-nature) of namespaces, making RDF statements about them
possible.

> By the way, I think that "data:" as a URI scheme [all too easy to confuse schemes
> and schemas, alas] would be valuable no matter what happens with namespaces.   It
> provides something not there now, namely, the effect of a literal in a programming
> language.

Are you under the impression that I just invented it?
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2397.txt

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>