Re: Inappropriate use of XML Namespaces in XQuery, XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0?

(sorry for the long cc list, I don't know who is reading which list)

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:37:00AM -0700, Andrew Layman wrote:
> The namespaces 1.0 recommendation speaks of elements and attributes as
> being qualified by a namespace identifier, but it very definitely does
> not say that the only things that can be so qualified are elements and
> attributes.  This open-endedness is consistent with the broad principles
> of extensibility that have motivated much of XML and it also reflects
> current practice, as noted below.

I agree with Andrew's comment.

It's true that there are difficulties caused by the use of
namespace prefixes within attribute values and within element
content.  The problems that these uses of namespaces are
addressing are themselves not simple.

As the XML family of specifications continues to evolve, we are
starting to see patterns in the ways that namespaces and namespace
prefixes are used, and perhaps in time we will find ways to extend
XML namespaces more cleanly to information not directly held in
individual Information Set Items.

For now, if there are technical inconsistencies in the specifications,
particularly specifications currently being worked on, the Working
Groups concerned will certainly be interested in a clear and detailed
explnanation of the problems, especially if possible solutions are
offered!  As Mike Kay said, though, it's too late to make people
stop doing what they are already doing without providing an
alternative mechanism.

Best,

Liam

--