Re: Why is Except limited to local fragments?

r/reagle@w3.org/2002.03.08/13:22:45
>On Friday 08 March 2002 03:03, Takeshi Imamura wrote:
>> I basically agree on this, but I think we should state such a restriction
>> on X in Section 2.1.2.  I tried to make some tweak to Section 2, which is
>> attached below.  Could you check if I misunderstand anything?
>> (See attached file: 20020308.html)
>
>Looks good, now in the editors' draft [1]. My two questions:
>
>1. Do we even need to talk about Z? According to decryptIncludedNodes, Z is
>always a nodeset, but it's not even mentioned in the "if XML" in step 2,
>and it is mention in the "if octets" in step 3.
>2. I'm a little confused by this wording, "If an xenc:EncryptedData element
>node being decrypted is the first node in X, the value of its Type
>attribute MUST NOT be  xenc;Content. Otherwise, the value MUST be
>xenc;Element or  xenc;Content."
>
>Can we be confident that we have the ordering of the nodes in X?
>
>Perhaps we should give a little motivation (to help me and eventually
>others understand). Perhaps,
>
>If an xenc:EncryptedData element node being decrypted is the first node in
>X, the value of its Type attribute MUST NOT be  xenc;Content. This prevents
>an ill-formed XML document with element content appearing at the start of
>the document. If the xenc:EncryptedData is not the first node in X, the
>value MUST be  xenc;Element or  xenc;Content. This prevents binary data
>from appearing out of place in an XML document.

I think this paragraph looks good, although "with element content
appearing" should perhaps be "with invalid content appearing"?

Should we generalize to allow a single non-XML EncryptedData
to appear anywhere in the excepted input, rather than requiring
that non-XML EncryptedData be the root node?

... If the xenc:EncryptedData is not the first node in X, and its
type is neither &xenc;Element nor &xenc;Content, then it MUST
be the only xenc:EncryptedData in X not referenced by an Except
element. This prevents mixed decryption of XML and non-XML data,
and restricts the decryption transform to a single piece of
binary data at a time.

I'm not terribly pushed on this, it might just make some uses
easier; for example, I can reference an external XML document
containing one piece of encrypted binary data that is not the
root, without using an XPath transform to select the encrypted
data element; somewhat like the base-64 transform ignoring XML
data.

Merlin

computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com