Re: Decryption Transform processing question

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 14:36, merlin wrote:
> r/reagle@w3.org/2002.07.16/14:12:15
> >On Monday 15 July 2002 08:06 pm, merlin wrote:
> >> C14n isn't necessarily right because it will not output entity
> >> declarations. I was hoping to punt to the serialized form that X was
> >> constructed from; but, of course, there may not have been an original
> >> serialized form.
> >>
> >> Actually, that's a problem: Our defined wrapping (emit entity
> >> declarations) cannot be implemented on DOM; DOM does not expose that
> >> information.
> >
> >As an aside, I agree C14N won't emit the entity declarations, but if you
> >have a DOM tree parsed from an instance that did, the declaration and the
> >content of the external entity should both be available to you -- I think.
> >Philippe?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/core.html#ID-527DCFF2
>
>   Interface Entity
>
>   This interface represents an entity, either parsed or unparsed, in an
>   XML document. Note that this models the entity itself not the entity
>   declaration. Entity declaration modeling has been left for a later Level
>   of the DOM specification.
>
> I could be misinterpreting the text; I'm not sure. DOM level
> 3 has the same language in it. The raw DocumentType will be
> available, but I'd rather not peer into it.

I entirely forgot about this sentence regarding entities vs entity
declarations. My guess here is that the entity node do represent its
entity declaration to some extent. The DOM will not expose all entity
declarations but only if some of them are overrided. Given that, entity
nodes are not ordered, unlike entity declarations but given that the
missing declarations were overridden, is it still important to have
them?

Philippe