Re: Last call comments on XML Encryption specs

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 12:42, John Cowan wrote:
> This seems bizarre.  A partially encrypted document on this view is not
> XML at all, but XML-with-interruptions: a sequence of characters,
> then raw octets, then more characters.

Hi John,

I'm not quite sure I undersatnd this. A partially encrypted XML document is
XML. It's XML that has a few xenc:EncryptedData elements. Those elements
include characters in CipherValue that represent octets (which are the
encrypted form of something else which I will return too) as encoded by
base64Binary.

Now, what is the nature of this data that has been encrypted: the
plaintext? It is an octect sequence that represents in UTF-8 the characters
resulting from serializing some part of an XML document. This XML fragment
(the part of the original source XML that is to be encrypted) might not be
well-formed in a few instances.

... I think I got that right ...?