Re: xenc:EncryptedKey/@Type

On Wednesday 02 January 2002 11:15, Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:
> what does the xenc:EncryptedKey/@Type attribute tell me? (@Type exists in
> the schema for EncryptedType).
>
> All our examples use a xenc:EncryptedData/@Type which makes sense to me.
> But the Type of an EncryptedKey should be indicated by an Algorithm
> attribute of the EncryptionMethod of the EncryptedData Element.

If it's Element or Content, it tells you it's one of those structures.
Otherwise the data is handed to the application with the Type/Value as
advisory -- if provided. However, your question invites a question raised
earlier as to whether the plaintext carried by an EncryptedKey is always
the literal key value. I do think we need to provide some guidance
regardless, but is anyone arguing against the possibility of a
<PGPData><PGPKeyPacket>...</PGPData><PGPKeyPacket> as the
plaintext data carried by EncryptedKey?