RE: XMLP/XMLE Use cases and processing models

Joseph,

I'm not suggesting that XMLE try to automatically make pre-existing
applications XML Encryption aware.  I don't follow how you get that
extraordinary claim.  I'm suggesting that documents have content-type of
application/xenc+xml for documents containing XMLE where XMLE decryption
MUST be done to interpret the contents according to the namespace names
within.

Imagine I took a SOAP document and encrypted a big chunk of it,ie
<soap:envelope><xenc:encrypteddata>...</xenc:encrypteddata></soap:envelope>.
The SOAP processor knows nothing about the soap document as encryption
happened "afterwards".  When such a document was sent, decryption would be
required first.  After decryption, then a SOAP processor would know what to
do with it.  While this particular document is encrypted, it is NOT a SOAP
document as per the soap namespace name nor media type.

Making such a document have a media-type of application/xenc+xml ensures
that the document can be dispatched to the correct piece of software, which
you can't do if it has media-type application/soap.

Again, this is not changing the SOAP spec in any way.

Cheers,
Dave