Re: Data replacement

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 02:52, Takeshi Imamura wrote:
> I don't have any concrete serialization, but one may want to serialize an
> element in UTF8 and then compress it...

I think this could be done by providing the compression algorithm as the
type. I believe that we said instead of providing a sophisticated transform
mechanism such as xmldsig, such content could be wrapped. So for instance,

        <EncryptedData xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#'
         Type='http://www.example.org/xmlenc#zipCompressed'>
          <CipherData>
            <CipherValue>A23B45C56</CipherValue>
          </CipherData>
        </EncryptedData>

When the CipherValue is decrypted, one might have:
  <zipCompressed xmlns='http://www.example.org/xmlenc#zipCompressed'
    Type="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#Content">
       76fdsawerwae74747
  </zipCompressed>

> Yes.  But anyway, I think I understand what the spec says, and to my
> understanding, the sentence in step 3.2 for encryption:
>
> For example, the data might be a serialization of an XML Information Set,
> set of characters, binary image data, or a compressed XML element.
>
> may be confusing because "an XML Information Set" and "a compressed XML
> element" seem to hint an element or element content being encrypted.

How about if I move the comressed bit and add the following e.g.,'s:

For example, the data might be a serialization of an XML Information Set
(MimeType="text/xml"), set of characters (MimeType="text/plain"), or binary
image data (MimeType="image/png").

We can not address compressed XML, or elsewhere in the document mention if
one has a compressed element content one might use the approach I specified
above. I think we'd also want to point out that the following is not
approriate as the MimeType is supposed to complement the Type attribute if
both are available, it's not a transform mechanism:

        <EncryptedData xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#'
         Type='http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#Content'
         MimeType='application/zip'>
        </EncryptedData>

(The MimeType should not be read as "first do me then look at the
corresponding Type." Type, MimeType, and Encoding should all be concurrent
and accuration descriptions of the decrypted form of the CipherData.