From: Joseph Reagle [mailto:reagle@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 11:38 AM
To: Mike Just; 'Fritz Schneider'; Christian Geuer-Pollmann
Cc: Blair Dillaway; Donald E. Eastlake 3rd; xml-encryption@w3.org
Subject: Re: Encrypting the IV - again. Was: Re: nonce length

Mike, the Editors' copy does say the following, let me know if your
proposed text is intended to replace it (you want more detail) or if you
were unaware of the latest text and find it satisfactory:

http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-core/Overview.html#sec-Nonce
For the Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) mode used by this specification the IV
must be non-repeating under a key and should be random, but it need not be
secret. Additionally, under this mode an adversary modifying the IV can
make a known change in the plain text after decryption. This attack can be
avoided by securing the integrity of the plain text data, for example by
signing it.