Re: #element or #content

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/CR-xmlenc-core-20020802/#sec-eg-Arbitrary-Data

2.1.4 Encrypting Arbitrary Data and XML Documents

If the application scenario requires all of the information to be encrypted,
the whole document is encrypted as an octet sequence. This applies to
arbitrary data including XML documents.

  <?xml version='1.0'?>
  <EncryptedData xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#'
   MimeType='text/xml'>