Re: FW: Re: rsa/oaep

Tom Gindin wrote:

>       I'm not an expert on XML syntax, but I don't think that requiring
> that the MGF function be SHA-1 (as opposed to defaulting it) is reasonable.
> The primary reason for this is that at some time in the next few years
> SHA-256 (along with SHA-384 and SHA-512) will be standardized, and a few
> years after that one of those will become widely used.  Eventually it will
> be more common than SHA-1 because of its larger range size.  RIPEMD-160 is
> a less important case.

I agree with you on this. But my concern is how to put the syntax correctly to
accomondate it.
I guess it was decided early on that MGF stuff  (I don't know the history) not
put in the XML schema.
The common sense is that if a parameter in a algorithm  is not present, then
the default should be used if there is one.

>       By comparison, requiring that the MGF function match the hash
> function is far more reasonable.  It isn't necessary, but it seems to be
> the most common practice.

If we require this without specifying it in  the syntax, we will be in a mess
if we want to extend the schema to
include the support of any other Mask Generation Function in the furture.

Jiandong Guo
Phaos Technology