Re: General Question

A flippant but accurate reason is that it's the way of the Web. TimBL
invented three things and only one was really novel and made the Web the
success it is: the URI (then URL), HTTP, and HTML. While HTTP and HTML were
nice in that they were simple, transport and closed-system-hypertext long
predated the Web. It's the URI that pulled them all together.

At 14:43 5/11/2001 -0700, Dournaee, Blake wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I had a general question about the XML Signature Syntax: Why were URIs
>chosen as the main means identifying all resources, identifiers, and
>references? I can see that this is a very convienent way of doing things,
>but I was wondering if there is a little more history to how and why URIs
>were chosen for everything?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Blake

__