RE: Comments on the requirements draft

Insomuch as the statement applies equally to the encryption of
whole elements or element content, I agree that the designers of
applications need to consider what effect introducing node
encryption will have on their system.  In many cases, one will
indeed be able to introduce targeted node encryption with changes
only at the designated encrypting and decrypting points.

In a non-normative "Application considerations" section of the
"XML Encryption Syntax and Processing" document (not the
Requirements document), I would
agree to a statement like this, where "node encryption"
means "whole element encryption, element content encryption,
and (if we do it) attribute value encryption":

"An advantage of node encryption is that XML systems need only
encrypt precisely what needs to be encrypted and for precisely
who it is being encrypted. Non-sensitive data can remain in
plaintext.  This means that when incorporating node encryption
into a system, designers need only change those application
processes that need access to nodes which have been
encrypted.  For the system to function properly after node
encryption is introduced, it is important that designers ensure
that all affected application processes have the necessary
decryption capabilities.  Note that even if a particular node
is not encrypted, designers should consider whether or not its
processing might depend on a node that has been encrypted."

Is this wording satisfactory?
Ed