RE: Integrity Checking Requirement was -> RE: HW Support and XML Enc ryption Requirements

>Could you speak to the points they raised?
>Philip Hallam-Baker [2] and Jim Schaad [3] opposed this requirement:

	"Given the history I think that authentication and encryption
	in one operation needs to be considered as a separate algorithm
	rather than supporting mix 'n match schemes. Most authentication
	with encryption schemes will fail with RC4 and similarly constructed

	ciphers." {List: Hallam-Baker}

< Jim Schaad:
>An additional reason that this should be part of the algorithm is that the
>hecksum should not appear in the clear.

I don't see strong opposition ... but there is confusion in the discussion
on the differences between integrity checking, authentication and MACs.

Integrity check mechanisms are required to validate the success of the
decryption process.  Without an integrity check, the random data (from
decryption with the wrong key) would processed and would occasionally be
parsed as "correct" data.

The integrity check must be contained within the encryption transform.  The
required strength of the integrity check depends on the encryption
algorithm.  SHA-1, HMACs and MACs are likely overkill for this mechanism
since we should be using "strong" encryption algorithms.   With a algorithm
like AES-cbc, all that should be required is a simple checksum or perhaps
even a known data field of sufficient length.  Even a known XML
encapsulation might suffice ...

A message authentication code (MAC) is a keyed hash typically implemented
with an encryption algorithm.  The MAC is usually used when the data can not
be encrypted, but strong integrity checks are required.  MAC based
authentication is based on knowledge of the originators key that has been
used to create the MAC.  If the MAC is correct, only a peer with access to
the MACs key could have send the information.

The requirement for a MAC transform is a completely different debate from
the need to support integrity checking of the decryption process.  I see no
benefits of this mechanism that could not be provided by a digital
signature.

Paul

PS - I was on vacation this week so this note may be a little out of phase
fro the discussion.