Re: Decryption Transform

At 22:17 7/2/2001, John Cowan wrote:
>I am arguing that the whole verify-decrypt-verify scenario is bad practice:
>it comes about only if people sign encrypted material, *which they should
>never do*.  We may need it nonetheless to compensate for pre-existing
>bad practice.

I'd also disagree with this. I can imagine encrypting a document, sending it
to a second party, having them sign the encrypted document, and pass it on to
a third party. Seems like there were some sensible non-repudiation schemes built
on this sort of logic in the past (the intermediate party doesn't know what I
sent,
but given appropriate plain text or keys, can verify later if a contract dispute
comes up). I realize I'm being light on details - blame it on really sunny
weather
in the pacific northwest [it's oh so unusual!]..

Cheers,
Joe