RE: 4 Dec 2001 updated Section 5

I guess it really makes no difference if the key agreement is a previous on-line, previous off-line, or contemporaneous off-line key derivation. The point is that there isn't any on-line protocol provided by XML DSIG or ENC so creation of the shared secret is not part of the processing they describe.

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Reagle [mailto:reagle@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 11:42 AM
To: Donald E Eastlake 3rd; xml-encryption
Cc: Donald Eastlake III
Subject: Re: 4 Dec 2001 updated Section 5

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 00:49, Donald E Eastlake 3rd wrote:
> Attached is a further updated section 5.  Changes are:

Thanks Don, they are now in:
 http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-core/
 $Revision: 1.83 $

> (1) While the algorithm table was correct, sections 5.2.2 and 5.6.3
> incorreclty listed AES-192 as REQUIRED and AES-256 as OPTIONAL. It's the
> other way around.

Now that were in Last Call -> CR transition, does anyone know where we
stand on AES key wraps?

> (5) Reordering of the concatenation feed to the specified Digest
> Algorithm to producing keying material from an agreed secret quantity in
> Sedtion 5.5.

Note: XML Encryption does NOT provide an on-line key agreement negotiation
protocol. The key agreement structure defined here is only suitable for
off-line agreement. Agreement based, for example, on trusted recipient key
information obtained previously from some public key infrastructure by the
originator. If a key has been agreed to via some previous on-line protocol,
it would be more natural to use a KeyName or the like to refer to an agreed
name.

How would you define/distinguish a previous online and previous offline
method?