RE: "Replace and encrypt will be Recommended (optional)."

From: <edsimon@xmlsec.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:07:45 -0400
To: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>, Takeshi Imamura <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>
Cc: XML Encryption WG <xml-encryption@w3.org>, Blair Dillaway <blaird@microsoft.com>
My gut reaction is forget about octet handling (for XML data only, steps
1 and 2) unless we hear that there is a need for it.  If applications need
the octets for XML data, they can serialize a returned nodeset.

I'd be glad to hear of reasonable scenarios where octet handling (for XML
data) is deemed valuable.  Otherwise, I'll probably just stick with my gut
reaction.

Ed