From: Mark Scherling [mailto:mscherling@xcert.com]
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 4:10 PM
To: Public XML Encryption List
Cc: rnd@xcert.com
Subject: proposed approach to XML encryption

Attached is a proposed approach that could be used to identify and
encrypt content.  It is recognized that some content within certain
documents (i.e. medical records) must be view able by different groups
with different needs.  The problem is to identify the group, the content
they need and to ensure that access is restricted to that content is
restricted.  The proposed example includes a simple example of a medical
record with an approach using element attributes to identify different
elements that require protection from unauthorized users.  The objective
is to provide individually accessible elements to meet the needs for
diverse access requirements.

Please feel free to comment on the approach and I would be happy to
present the concept at the next working group session on November 2.

Cheers
Mark Scherling
Xcert International Inc.
(604) 640-6210 Ext. 349