From: Ed Simon [mailto:ed.simon@entrust.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 3:14 PM
To: 'xml-encryption@w3.org'
Subject: RE: Encrypting entire documents in XML Proposal?

Ultimately, every well-formed XML document has a prologue, just that some
have empty prologues.  An empty prologue is equivalent to the prologue
"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>".

So the prologue of

<EncryptedData...>
</EncryptedData>

indicates it is XML version 1.0 with a character encoding of UTF-8.

If <EncryptedData> contains an XML document with an empty prologue, the
prologue of that document indicates it is XML version 1.0 and has a
character encoding of ""UTF-8".

Now in future years when a possible XML versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 come into
being, I expect empty prologues will only be found in "historical"
documents.  In other words, in the year 2525 when XML version 39.2 is
popular, empty prologues just won't be used in everyday business.  At a
minimum, the prologue will look like this
"<?xml version="39.2"?>" (if other attributes become mandatory then those
will be included too).

Certainly, nothing in XML Encryption should stop an application from
specifying a non-empty prologue on "<EncryptedData
Type="Document">...</EncryptedData>" and in some cases it may be necessary
to do so if non-UTF-8 encoded attribute values need to be specified.  In
addition to the XML declaration, I expect it would make sense to have the
Document Type Declaration, for XML Encryption, specified as well.

Ed